Monday 21 February, 2011

Visiting Delhi-6



Few days back, went to the famous ‘paranthe wali gali’ in chandni chowk with friends. Although, I have been to old Delhi many times, but never was able to go that legendary place. There were many reasons that restrained me to go to that place. Firstly, huge traffic jams surrounding that area, it actually need someone really courageous to visit Delhi-6 through his/her private vehicle. Secondly, my parents never allowed me to visit there by my own because of the massive crowd (they still think I am a little child or something). But, today I really thank Delhi metro from the core of my heart that made visiting Delhi-6 so easy.
Anyways, as soon as we headed towards that famous street, first thought that struck my mind was, am I really in Delhi (the Delhi I live in has broad roads, huge buildings and people who doesn’t really care about what’s happening around?). I mean little cozy streets and too much noise that aren’t really annoying and some unknown but sweet smell surrounding us. The aura there was so pure and so fresh that’s so hard to explain in words.
Finally we reached that street and saw the chains of small restaurants. Somehow we chose a restaurant (actually, there wasn’t any restaurant but a small room kind of structure where large assemblage of people of all the age group were sitting and enjoying the gossip\talks and meal) that’s there for more than a century. We sat there and ordered four types of parathas. It was 30 bucks for a single paratha and it was necessary to take at least two parathas. With parathas, they gave two kinds of veggies, banana chutney, green chutney and few pickles. We ate the parathas, gossiped like anything (girls love gossips :P) and ended the meal with a big glass of lassi. On the top of lassi,there was thick layer of cream, as I don’t like cream, so I made sure that, somehow it does not go in my mouth.
After that we roamed around the streets of delhi-6 and had lots of fun, for me it was really after a long time that I enjoyed this much. For all those who haven’t really visited delhi-6, go visit there now, because that’s where the soul of Delhi is.
PS: there was nothing really extraordinary in those parathas but what made it extraordinary were the ambiance and the culture that’s prevailing there for more than a century.

2 comments:

  1. Been there love the experience! Trust me I had similar experiences when I went there the first time, the paratha was as good as usual places, but the experience was something we'd never get anywhere! :)

    Btw you should read this post, if you want to see Lodhi Garden and other parts of the capital through my lense! :D - http://www.souravpandey.in/2011/02/real-dilli-darshan.html

    ReplyDelete