Sunday 16 March, 2008

That day I gained much more than I gave…

God gave us memory so that we might have roses in DecemberJames M.Barrie

Today I really decided to update my blog but I was clueless about where to start. So I decided to take a safe but sometimes chilly way of recalling the past by forcing open a crammed drawer. I was not looking for anything in particular, but something fell out at the back that helped me tide over my current problems and prompted me to write this piece…

It was 24th December 2007. There were no worries and life seemed like a cakewalk where nothing ever could go wrong. As a part of my that day schedule, I had to go to an orphanage (I’m associated with an NGO which works for the betterment of children). And that special day truly taught me a real life lesson on humility. HUMILITY, increasingly becoming an old fashioned word is one of the miraculous tool that works persistently towards personal growth. I did not know it then but now I do..!

As a part of the program we had arranged for a small Christmas party in the hall. The room was a warm and somber place in my memory voiced protection. We were a group of 5 volunteers. We spent our entire afternoon cleaning and decorating the room and arranging for the food. Everything was done with care and was well rewarded.

The children came around at 4 O’clock, a full spectrum of age groups ranging from 5 to 15, pleased and curious. Some of the shy ones looked from behind their friends and bolder ones simply stared. We were expected to make the first move, so I went ahead and said “Hello” to a small girl and stretched my hand. She was hesitant but on my insistence took my hand. Other giggling ones prompted by her achievement approached me and soon after I was surrounded. If there was one thing that I sensed the kids severely missed was the sense of human touch. Once they are closer, all the kids wanted to do was just hang around you, on you, feel you, touch you, prod you and all with a smiling face. It was nearly impossible to guess their gory past. Sia, one of younger girls had lost an eye and nearly half her face in a family brawl. Her father in an attempt to hit her mother had thrown a burning lantern that hit her instead, right on the face. Having survived a second degree burn, an abusive father, a helpless mother and a mental depression of being the third girl child, at the age of 8 she was sent to the orphanage. Then, at an age of 10 she was diagnosed to be diabetic and epileptic…

After finishing the party something to the effect that I have done something for the society, I came back home.

Today as I choose to sit and grumble about a backbreaking day, a yelling teacher or a tiff at home, I remember those beaming faces. By comparison they are the ones with no parents to guide and no money to support and a scary past. They probably weren’t even wanted in this word…

Here I am surrounded with my family, friends and relatives and money and still I chose to see the one nasty comment, one bad day and one bad teacher…??? And as I wonder I realize…

What I gave years back came back to me in many folds and I know, that day I gained much more than I gave…



Image Courtesy: washingtonpost.com

9 comments:

  1. hii moti

    you know something? ..u just made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dedicating portion of a life to show little n unremembered acts of kindness and love is best thing to do ,nice work duh !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, You visited my blog for the twitter meet post. Why dont you join us in the next meet of Delhi bloggers? You can join this group (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/delhibloggers/join) for more details.

    Cheers
    TF
    http://www.twilightfairy.in

    ReplyDelete
  6. simply fab..... girl u have written this with extreme beauty touching lot many hearts.....

    cheers..... and please let ur emotions flow if the writing is gona be of this sorts......

    peace out and love all !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post..this actually made me tear up..Thank you for reminding me that we are so very blessed!

    ReplyDelete